The JW Fisher side-scan sonar is one of the most effective tools for underwater exploration because it can search a large area quickly and produce a detailed picture of anything on the bottom, regardless of water clarity. When looking at a side scan image it appears as if the water has been removed and the operator is getting an unobstructed view of the ocean floor, lake bottom, or river bed. High resolution images are sent from the towfish to a topside computer (included with the system) for display and storage. An optional Microsoft Surface® tablet mounted to the inside of the control box lid can be added for a “sleeker” package versus the standard laptop (see image on side).
SONAR VIEW software gives the operator complete control over the systems operating parameters. Choose between 10 different scan ranges and 8 color schemes to display images. Connect a GPS and position coordinates are automatically captured with the side scan data. Point the mouse on a target and the GPS position coordinates for the target are displayed on the screen.
Fishers offer the following frequency options:
- 600 kHz
- 1200 kHz
- Dual Frequency (600/1200 kHz)
JW FISHER SIDE SCAN SONAR SSS-600K METAL DETECTOR
The JW Fisher side scan sonar SSS-600K side scan produces excellent resolution images when scanning with a 10 meter to 75-meter range setting. The 5-meter range produce good images, but lack the sharpness of the higher ranges. The SSS-600K is great for law enforcement, dive rescue operations or any operation that requires a high-resolution image. Soft targets such as drowning victims, evidence recovery and bottom mapping are various capabilities. The 600K side scan is also popular with wreck hunters and archaeologists searching for old wood vessels that may be broken up or decomposing. The range settings in meters are: 5, 10, 25, 50, and 75 meters (each side).
The SSS-1200K side scan produces excellent high-resolution images when scanning with a 5 meter to 25-meter range setting. The SSS-1200K is produces very high-resolution images at ranges up to 25m (50m swath). This very high frequency sonar can show very small, and very soft targets in high detail. The limitation of the 1200K is only it’s shorter range as compared to lower frequency side scans. The range settings in meters are: 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 meters (each side). The SSS-1200K is best used as part of a dual frequency system such as SSS-600K/1200K where the 600K is used for the search and the 1200K is used for making final close in passes on the target.
All of Fishers side scan sonars come with a 500-foot depth rated towfish, 150 feet of cable (Kevlar reinforced), a laptop computer, a GPS, and Fishers SONAR VIEW software. The computer displays a real time color image of the ocean floor. The screen is split down with the middle with the right side showing the ocean bottom on the right side of the vessel, and the left side of the screen shows the ocean bottom on the left side of the vessel.
ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS FOR THE JW FISHER SSS-600KHZ SIDE SCAN SONAR
- Dual Frequency Side Scan Sonar 600/1200 kHz: $25,995
- Extra Cable: $6 per ft
- CMS-1 Cable Management system (cable reel up to 500′): $2,995
- CMS-2 Cable Management system (cable reel up to 1,000′): $3,495
- Underwater Cable Connector: $800
- Adjustable Transducers: $895
- Microsoft Surface® tablet (instead of laptop): $795
- GETAC S140 (instead of laptop): $1,595
- Sonar Coverage Mapping software: $1,995
- DDW-1 Deep Dive Wing: $1,395
The SONAR VIEW software gives the side scan operator complete control of all system functions with easy to use pull-down menus and icons on the screen. Size measurement tool, target height off bottom, annotation, and auto bottom tracking all standard. The operator can change colors, ranges, amplifier gain, and other controls with a click of the mouse. With the computer, side scan images can be stored in memory for playback and post processing at any time in the future. Small file sections including screen shots can be copied for emailing. With the GPS connected to the computer the position coordinates are captured with the side scan data. Once GPS is connected, the mouse cursor can be placed on any object on the screen and its position coordinates will be displayed. Sonar files can be stored on the computer’s hard drive or to DVD.
An optional Sonar Coverage Mapping feature shows the boat’s path as it travels over the search area and the sonar coverage swath. It’s all displayed on a grid with latitude and longitude as the X and Y axis. This option makes it easy to search even large areas and ensures no part of the area is missed. The map can be shown in a separate window on the same screen as the side scan image, or the map can be displayed on a separate monitor. The user can also control the size of the map. The map can be exported as an image with a KML file to allow it to be easily overlaid on other mapping programs (as shown at the right). All data can be stored on the PC hard-drive or disk.
A Microsoft Surface® tablet (optional) can be ordered with the Side Scan system. The tablet is mounted inside the control box lid for a “sleeker” package (see image above)
An optional GETAC S410 Semi-Rugged Laptop available for small, open boat operations. Raising the bar on the semi-rugged notebook class, the new S410 is MIL-STD-810G certified, more rugged, slimmer and lighter than ever before. The all-new S410 boasts the latest computing innovations, including a significant CPU performance boost, massive graphics enhancements, and a multitude of game-changing capabilities and options. The S410 puts unmatched power and adaptability into the hands of professionals in field service, manufacturing, public safety sectors.
Portability, rugged construction, low cost, and ease of operation. Four models to choose from. Larger towfish ensures stability and provides high quality sonar images. Dual frequency has both high and low frequency transducers in one towfish. Computer and software included with system. Fishers SONAR VIEW software provides user with lots of flexibility in displaying and manipulating sonar images.
Each side scan system is backed by Fishers exclusive, unconditional TWO YEAR warranty.
- Computer Based System
- File Format : XTF (industry standard)
- Splash-Proof Input Power : 12 vdc, 120/220 vac at 60 w
- Standard Laptop : Win10, 15.6″ Wide Screen, 320GHD., R/W DVD Burner, 4GB RAM
- Frequency : 100 Khz / 600Khz / 1200 Khz
- Pulse Length : 0.1ms
- Transducer Tilt Angle : 20° Downward
- Power Output : 1,000 Watt Per Channel
- Beamwidth : 1.5° Horizontal x 40° Vertical
- Resolution (longtrack & crosstrack) : 25cm x 4cm x 2cm
- Max Range
- 100 KHz : 600m (2,000 feet per channel / 4,000 feet swath)
- 600 KHz : 75m (250 feet per channel / 500 feet swath)
- 1200KHz : 25m (80 feet per channel / 160 feet swath)
- Max Depth : 500 Feet (150m)
- Recommended Tow Speed (for best image) : 1-3 kt
- Dimensions / Weight
- Sonar Processor : 14″ L x 11″ W x 6″ D (8 lbs)
- Standard Laptop computer : 14″ L x 11″ W x 11/2″ D (7 lbs)
- Sonar Processor Input Power : 12 vdc, 120/220 vac at 50 w
- Optional Splash-Proof Computer : 14″ L x 11″ W x 6″ D (12 lbs)
- Fish : 4″ D x 48/53″ L (38/48 lbs)
- Cable : .375″ x 150-500′ (15 to 50 lbs)
- Shipping Boxes
- Computer : 22″ L x 16″ W x 8″ H (15 lbs)
- Sonar Processor : 24″ L x 18″ W x 12″ H (23 lbs)
- Fish : 150-500 feet – 61″ L x 16″ W x 19″ H (150-210 lbs)
- Materials / Color
- Fish : High Impact PVC, Epoxy, Stainless / Yellow
- Splash-Proof PC : High Impact Case, PVC Panel / Black
- Sonar Processor : High Impact Case, PVC Panel / Black
- Cable : 10 Conductor with Kevlar Strength Member / Yellow
- Warranty : 2 Year UNCONDITIONAL
- Depth : 500′ Depth Capability
- Display : Displays Sonar Images on Laptop Computer
- Range : Up to 2,000′ (600m) Range on Each Side of Towfish
- Storage : Store Files (XTF format) On CD, DVD or Hard Drive
MANUFACTURED BY JW FISHER